Monday, August 27, 2012

What a Boomer Wants, what a boomer needs

At Blogher there was a special sponsor party for bloggers of a certain age.   The company and conversation was simply awesome, and the space (called OffSite) much more comfortable than the crowded hotel suites of some of the other parties.

The snacks were tasty.   I tried lavender popcorn for the first time.   I would not have thought a scent combined with popcorn, but it was delicious.    We also had fun trying out different scents from Demeter.   It's funny that "white linen" smelled to me like my grandma's closet (kind of musty), but "clean skin" was awesome.   I could have spent the whole evening at that table trying out fragrances and connecting them to memories.   Sharing those memories and stories with my fellow bloggers made it even more fun.

What surprised me was which sponsors were not there.   For example, no toys.  As I mentioned in No respect from the Toy sponsors, bloggers of a certain age are often grandparents and purchase some big ticket items for major occasions.   How about fashionable accessories?    We may not wear 5 inch heels because we already ruined our feet at a younger age, or we may have foot problems like heel spurs and bunions.    But we still like a fashionable, comfortable shoe like Birkestock Papgallos.   And Alegria.   I pay bigger bucks for these shoes than I ever did for fashionable shoes.    Pretty shoes that don't hurt my feet are so rare I buy them in multiple colors when I find them.  (If there is more than one color)

 We like a nice bag and we're always looking for our next favorite.  Nowadays I carry a computer and probably tablet and like lots of compartments.  When I was young I couldn't afford to buy nice bags, but now designer bags are one of life's little pleasures I no longer do without. 

How about clothing for the lady that is stylish and age appropriate that doesn't look like my grandmother's curtains?    For example, Coldwater Creek is one of my favorite brands, and has sizes that fit my less than perfect body.  

So thank you Boombox Network for a lovely evening.   And let those other sponsors know we have income to dispose of, and haven't given up on fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment