Friday, June 8, 2012

How Sharing Computers is like Sharing a Toothbrush

Techmama's article on families needing a tablet and a computer got me thinking.  Is there really a need for a family computer any more, or has tech in the family progressed so that the shared computer is a dinosaur.

In my family, as the title suggests, I wouldn't share a computer with the other members any more often than I would share a toothbrush.   Computer settings and preferences can be a very personal thing, and I hate trying to figure out who has been messing with my stuff.

Conversely, if I don't touch the computers of the less technical members of my family (who shall remain nameless to reduce the threat of possible retaliation - to me)  they can't accuse me of doing "things" to their computers.   And I don't get frustrated having to use a computer that has issues.

It reminds me of getting in the car after my husband has been driving.   I have to raise the seat, straighten the back, move it forward - and then start driving.    Sometimes I am too lazy and just stretch and point my toe to accelerate.    What is the best time save is - he drives when it is his car, and I drive in mine.

Just like the computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment